Professor emeritus of International Relations-Strategic Studies at the Faculty of International and European Studies of Piraeus University
Current position in Piraeus University: Professor of International Relations and Strategic Studies at Piraeus University, Faculty of International and European Studies to which he was transferred from Panteion University on 2007. He is also the Director of Postgraduate Level Studies at the same Faculty.
Panteion University 1990-2007: From 1990 to 2007 he taught at the Faculty of International and European Studies of Panteion University: As an Assistant Professor from 1990 to 1994 and as a Full Professor from 1994 to 2007, when he was transferred to the Faculty of International and European Studies of Piraeus University.
Earlier studies: Hellenic Junior High of Lapithos. Graduate of Aspropyrgos Merchant Navy Officer School. Law-Economics Studies, University of Athens (diploma). University of Manchster (MA European Studies). Brussels University (Phd in International Relations, with expertise in Strategic and European issues). Published several books, scientific articles and essays on issues of his field of expertise. Also notable is his service in the diplomatic mission in Brussels from 1978 to 1998.
Teaching. At the Faculty of International and European Studies of Piraeus University he teaches, among others, the following courses: a) Diplomacy and strategy of the great European powers. b) Strategic studies. c) European defence, security and political unification. d) War in international relations. e) American diplomacy and strategy. f) International Relations Theory. g) European unification theory. h) History of international relations and strategy. i) International System and International governance. j) Diplomacy and strategy of the great powers.
Publications: Hundreds of articles and essays in collective works, scientific publications and public interest magazines. Almost its entirety relates to international relations and especially strategic studies. Only published book are mentioned here: (16 monographs):
- (in English) EUROPEAN POLITICAL COOPERATION, Towards a Framework of Supranational Diplomacy? (Gower Publishing co, Aldershot, U.K., 1987). (Prefaced by Etienne Davignon, Former Vice President of the Commission of the European Communities)
- (in English) NUCLEAR STRATEGY AND EUROPEAN SECURITY DILEMMAS, Towards an Autonomous European Defense System? (Gower Publishing co, Aldershot, U.K., 1988) (Prefaced by Alfred Cahen, Former Secretary General of the WEU)
- (In Greek) “THE APPLICATION OF CYPRUS AND THE ENLARGEMENT OF THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITY”, 2nd part, in P. Ifestos & Ch. Tsardanidis, Relations between Cyprus and the EEC, 1972 – 1990, (Papazisis, Athens, 1991).
- (In Greek) “THE EUROPEAN SECURITY SYSTEM TOWARDS 2000”, first part, in P.Ifestos & Ch. Tsardanidis, The European Security System and Greek Foreign Policy towards 2000 (Sideris, Athens, 1992)
- (in Greek) “GREECE’ S DETERRENCE STRATEGY AND GREEK FOREIGN POLICY”, 2nd part in P. Ifestos & A. Platias, Greece’s Deterrence Strategy (Papazisis, Athens, 1992)
- (in Greek) AMERICAN FOREIGN POLICY 1776-1945 (Odysseas, Athens, 1994)
- (in Greek) EUROPEAN DEFENSE AND EUROPEAN INTEGRATION (Odysseas, Athens, 1994)
- (in Greek) Exoelliniki nootropia and its causes (Piotita 1997)
- (in Greek) DIPLOMACY AND STRATEGY OF THE BIG EUROPEAN STATES, FRANCE, GREAT BRITAIN AND GERMANY (Piotita, Athens 1999)
- (in Greek) HISTORY, THEORY AND POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY OF INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS (Piotita, Athens 1999)
- (in Greek) THEORY OF EUROPEAN AND INTERNATIONAL INTEGRATION (Piotita, Athens 1999)
- EUROATLANTIC RELATIONS (together with C. Arvanitopoulos) (Piotita, Athens 2000)
- (in Greek) WELTANSCHAUUNG AND CLAIMS FOR POLITICAL SOVEREIGNTY, European Defense, Security and Political unification (Piotita, Athens 2001)
- CAUSES OF WAR (Piotita, Athens 2003)
- (in Greek) INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS AS A SUBJECT FOR SCIENTIFIC STUDY. Evolution, subject matter, content and theory (Piotita, Athens 2004)
- (in Greek) Weltanschauung of Nations. Formating, composing and binding nations, Europe and the world (Piotita, Athens 2010)
*for a more comprehensive biographic reference please visit the link above.